Kaman came up to me yesterday morning complaining that his arm itched again. At first I thought his infection had come back again and panicked. Then I looked up his pictures from a couple months ago to see if it was the same arm - it wasn't. It was in the same spot, but a different arm. So, then I tried to figure out if Kaman had been bitten by another spider. What are the chances? I looked him over and noticed he had 2 other mosquito bites - one on his back and one on his left leg. I came to the conclusion that he had just been bitten by a mosquito. Which made me realize that he was probably bitten by a mosquito last time, not a spider. His reaction this time was the same - blister, puss, rash, redness, swelling, hot, and tight.
Of course, I immediately took him to the doctor so we could catch this as soon as possible and save us another trip to the E.R. We were given antibiotics (Cephalexin), a corticosteroid used to treat severe allergies (Prednisolone), and an antihistamine (xyzal). We're only on the second day and we're hoping and praying it doesn't escalate.
Apparently if you have severe reactions like this to mosquito bites it is called Skeeter Syndrome. Kaman swells up really bad only on his face and arms when bitten by a mosquito. I guess we'll need to be more careful at keeping him covered with bug spray. Poor little boy.
The bite is the shiny spot on the upper part of the dotted lines. We drew the dotted lines last night, and as you can see the redness has gone past those marks.
2 comments:
Poor kid. Hopefully he can develop an immunity to these bites so he doesn't swell so bad everytime he gets bit! Give him hugs from the Thompsons!
Oh my goodness, this is scary, especially considering how many mosquitoes we have around! Yikes! Good luck!
Post a Comment